It is almost time to celebrate Eid-Ul-Adha 2021. We are here to give you inspiration for Eid dinner.
In Arabic, Eid-Ul-Adha literally means the “festival of the sacrifice” and is held every year to celebrate the story of Ibrahim. Eid-Ul-Adha honors the willingness of the Muslim Prophet Ibrahim to make the ultimate sacrifice, showing honor to Allah. The holy story begins when Allah tells Ibrahim to sacrifice his son Ismael as an act of obedience to God. Ibrahim begins to comply, when a messenger from God interrupts, moving his hand from his son to sacrifice a lamb instead.
This year, we will celebrate Eid-Ul-Adha on Mon, Jul 19, 2021.
Eid dinner recipes
In commemoration of Ibrahim’s sacrifice an animal is sacrificed for meat for the Eid meal. This means that traditional Eid dishes usually include meat such as sheep, goat, or lamb. Of course, families all over the world celebrate Eid-Ul-Adha in various ways. There are several foods for the Eid-al-Adha Celebration depending upon location and family traditions.
Here are some of our favorite Eid dinner recipes and Eid meals.:
Mutton Kofta Curry recipe
This dish is simple yet delicious and is great for meat lovers. Mutton Kofta curry can be eaten as a complete meal or as a side dish for your Eid dinner. Below you will find the recipe and links to ingredients so you can prepare this dish for your Eid-Ul-Adha 2021 celebration.
- 1 pound of minced lamb
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup of chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Chopped green chillies
- 1 roasted yellow bell pepper
- 6 roasted cloves of garlic
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup diced tomato
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- In a large bowl combine minced lamb, onions, mint, cilantro, black pepper, green chillies and garam masala. Salt to taste.
- Make sure all ingredients are combined smoothly then roll into small consistent sized balls about 2-inch wide.
- Pan sear meatballs over medium heat in oil until the lamb reaches an internal temperature of 145 degree fahrenheit.
- Set aside while you prepare sauce.
- Pan roast yellow bell pepper and garlic, browning on all sides. Set aside until room temperature.
- Remove seeds from bell pepper then blend in a food processor or blender with garlic, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes until mixture is a fine paste.
- Heat in a skillet over medium heat with olive oil and ½ cup water.
- Simmer mixture for 5 minutes covered. Then add meatballs.
- Stir and mix then simmer for another 5 minutes with the pan covered by lid.
- Serve hot.
Sheer Khurma recipe
Looking for dessert recipes for your Eid dinner? Try Sheer Khurma, a vermicelli pudding and an Eid meal favorite. Check out our recipe below with links to ingredients.
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/4 cup almonds slices
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 12 pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup thin vermicelli roasted
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon white poppy seeds
- 5 cups low-fat milk (divided into 3 cups then 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Soak pistachios in warm water for 10 mins.
- While the pistachios are soaking, slice the cashews and dates. Then remove the skin of the pistachios and slice thin.
- Heat ghee in a medium pot on the stovetop. Add almonds, pistachios, cashews, and dates. Roast for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add raisins, vermicelli, coconut and poppy seeds. Mix well and roast for another 1 to 2 minutes as coconut and poppy seeds turn light brown
- Add 3 cups of milk, sugar, and saffron then stir.
- Cook on medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes until it comes to a rolling boil and the vermicelli is soft.
- Add vanilla. Add an additional 1 to 2 cups of milk to your desired consistency.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Serve hot or chilled.
Additional Eid meal recommendations
Are you still hungry for more Eid meal options for your Eid-Ul-Adha 2021 celebration? Check out these recommendations to get additional Eid dinner inspiration.
This mixed rice dish is made with Indian spices. The rice is mixed with either meat, eggs or vegetables depending upon regional varieties. Biryani is known for its tasty aromas, vibrant colours, fluffy rice and curry flavors.
This dish is popular in South Asia and enjoyed by many all around the world. Seekh Kebab is made with spiced minced meat. Most often Seekh kebabs are lamb, beef, or chicken. The meat is formed into cylinders on skewers and then grilled on a barbecue, or in a tandoor. Seekh Kebab is usually served as an appetizer and is typically eaten with a side of green chutney.
A popular component of any Eid meal is a side of keema paratha. This is an Indian flatbread served with a spicy minced mutton mixture. This dish is usually stuffed into whole wheat flour dough and then rolled. When it all comes together it makes a delicious flatbread.
This curry dish is found in different variations across all the various states, countries and regions of South Asia. Overall, mutton curry is usually prepared from goat meat and vegetables. It can be served as a full meal or side dish and is a favorite of many for the Eid-Ul-Adha celebration.
This is a dessert made with ghee, fried bread, sweet milk, saffron and nuts. The word ‘Shahi’ is Persian and it means: Royal. While ‘Tukda” is a Hindi word that means: piece. So “Shahi Tukda” literally translates to, a royal piece of dessert.
Khajoor Ka Halwa
Finally, we wanted to highlight a famous Arabian desert for your Eid-Ul-Adha 2021 meal. Khajoor Ka Halwa is an easy recipe that is a crowd pleaser. This dish involves a combination of dates, pistachios, almonds, cardamom, sugar and is topped with raisins. Mix all the ingredients together then enjoy the rich and delicious flavour.
Shopping at Mirchi Masalay
Get all of your Ramadan shopping done online with Mirchi Masala. We are your one-stop-shop for Eid meals. Find all the ingredients you need and have them shipped to your door hassle free so you can spend more time enjoying the holidays.